For as long as we can remember, movies featuring awkward, hapless, or hulking security guards, or protective and dynamic duos, have been a fun and important part of movie history. Here’s a list of classic bodyguard movies or movies with superpowered security stars that we just can’t forget.
1. Armed and Dangerous: John Candy and Eugene Levy team up and make cinematic history in this brilliant buddy comedy; The goofy duo plays a recently fired cop and an amoral lawyer who remains security guards, only to find that they have unknowingly become members of a corrupt company.
2. The Bodyguard: Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston sizzle on the big screen as a former Secret Service agent acting as a bodyguard for a mainstream pop singer. The film’s epic soundtrack remains one of the best-selling albums of all time.
3. Homeland Security: Martin Lawrence and Steve Zahn as Earl and Hank, respectively; two guards from different walks of life who have one thing in common: the security company they work for. His story of hating himself stems from Earl’s key role in firing Hank from the police force. This odd couple doesn’t disappoint in the laugh department.
4. Watch and Report: This dark comedy features Seth Rogen as Ronnie Barnhardt, a depressed and abysmal guard who is head of the security department at Forest Ridge Mall. When he fails to enter the police force and is looked down upon by the An officer taking over his operations, he embarks on a double insane mission: to prove himself and catch the elusive mall flasher, Ronnie’s arch nemesis, and the ultimate goal.
5. In the Line of Fire: Clint Eastwood as Frank Horrigan, an agent of the President’s Secret Service. Frank is famous for dropping the ball when it came to saving President Kennedy, but he took the front line to take out a cunning assassin who is targeting his current client.
6. Paul Blart: Mall Cop – Kevin James plays Paul Blart, who dreams of being a New Jersey State Police officer. However, his sheer size doesn’t improve his chances of becoming a powerful cop, so he has to settle for being a security guard at his local mall. Heartwarming and hilarious, this is a great movie for the whole family.
7. The Pacifier: Vin Diesel as tough guy Shane Wolfe, a disgraced US Navy SEAL assigned to work as a bodyguard protecting five unruly children. He may soon be the one who needs protection, as he learns the hard way that babysitting is no joke.
8. Night at the Museum: Larry Daley is a night watchman at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. At the beginning of your shift, you are instructed not to let anything “go in or out.” He soon realizes the importance of this eerie warning: the museum comes to life at night, kicking off a chilling phenomenon that delighted viewers of all ages.
9. Protecting Tess: Nicholas Cage as Doug Chesnic, a Secret Service agent who protects Tess Carlisle, from Jessica Tandy, widow of a former president of the United States. Though he prides himself on his prestigious work, the fierce First Lady tests his limits by treating him like a humble servant. Have your handkerchief ready for this endearing pull of tears.
10. Terminator 2: Judgment Day – Arnold Schwarzenegger returns as the last larger-than-life robot guard, a well-muscled force from the future on a mission to protect teenage John Connor. Nothing says big screen fun like another deadly Terminator!